Newnham’s buildings, warm and glowing with red brick. make an immediate impression on any visitor – and our students, staff and Fellows say they are one of the most special aspects of being here.
Newnham College was in the unusual and fortunate position to have had a College architect, Basil Champneys, from the first building on the site in 1875 – ‘Newnham Hall’, now known as Old Hall – to the completion of Peile Hall in 1910. Subsequent distinguished architects have relished the chance to respond to Champney’s designs.
The College’s distinguished art collection, including works by Turner and Rembrandt, is located within the College and its gardens. Many pieces are displayed in public spaces, including the College Hall, various meeting rooms, the Buttery and the Dorothy Garrod Building. Various pieces of sculpture are displayed within the gardens. A dedicated Exhibition Corridor, located in the Dorothy Garrod Building, holds rotating displays of both the College’s own collection and pieces on loan.
The College campus comprises its set of historic Champneys Buildings and several other principal buildings which surround the northern (Sidgwick Avenue) end of the gardens and extend along Newnham Walk.…